Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Revision Process

I am tackling the revision process the same way I would most things in my life in as organized a fashion that I can muster so I won’t miss anything and not rush myself through the process. I’m a terrible procrastinator (though sometimes my best work comes from instances where I waited until a few days prior to put my final touches on something). I don’t, however want to take that approach now because I’ve learned that there will be times when I sit down to write and will only come up with a blank sheet of paper. I always felt like that was some major flaw in my writing and something I could correct. I realize if I start out by giving myself an adequate amount of time it will be okay to have those glitches in my writing process. I will be revising my short story, Finding Mother where I was fairly happy with the first draft and my poem Give It a Rest which I thought was very bad. Maybe not so much “bad” as in it is likely the draft that will need the most work and be the hardest to come to a final decision (and right now I’m thinking of starting from scratch) so that my readers can really appreciate it and enjoy it.

This past weekend I read through all the comments that were provided in workshop and put them in order of the ones where similar items were called out and the one or two comments that only a couple of individuals brought to my attention. This week I plan on summarizing the issues into a condensed format that I can have on hand as I start working on each draft and then start to mark up my drafts with the hope to have a second draft ready by next class, then work over the weekend and hopefully have a decent finished product early next week for both the short story and the poem.

Cindy Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment