Tuesday, December 7, 2010

RRR

I've chosen to revise my poetry piece in hopes of both improving myself and gaining a better respect for poetry that I currently have. I really enjoy writing single stanzas, but I dont like leaving so much unstated or poorly outlined. Is odd at the same time, that I wish I had just done a haiku, which for some reason I feel is more deliberate and straightforward than a lengthy poem.

In contrast, revising my fiction peice has been much easier. I enjoy a story and the infinite ways in which it can be structured in a manner that speaks just as poetically. At first I was concerned that I could not find the original file on my computer, but rewriting it from the beginning with my printed drafts in front of me has been both easy and I think very benefitial to the process.

Brian Walker

4 comments:

  1. I'm starting to deeply regret not selecting my poetry piece to revise. It would not be as much of a time suck as the other, longer pieces. It is also easier to look at the piece as a whole with the revisions and see the fruit of your labors.

    D. Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow good for you for revising your poetry peice. Poetry is so hard for me and is for sure the last thing I will want to revise. I am revising my fiction as well. I too don't have my original saved so I have to start over. I think it is more helpful to start off from scratch then it is to revise with what you already think is really well written. Well good luck with your revision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that you had a hard copy still saved. I think it is also helpful to be working with something you can physically pick up and scan, especially when you have comments and suggestions to help you focus on certain areas. Visual clues are great and I think with a poem, it is important to be able to really "see" what your poem looks like on paper, rather than a screen. Good luck with your poem.
    -Samantha Markey

    ReplyDelete