Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Back to school night

So as many of you already know I teach preschool and tonight was our back to school night. So I have already worked a full day and now I am required to stay an extra two hours to talk to parents about how wonderful their children are, but the truth is they are so wonderful. I really love all of my kids, they all have their own personalities and are so much fun to be around. It is the parents that stress me out and annoy me. What is it about becoming a parent that makes a what would appear normal person crazy. They obsess over every little thing that normally wouldn't be a big deal. For example "do you heat up my daughters pasta?", me "yes", her "well not for too long right I don't want the plastic to make it so hot." In my head I'm going I'm not an idiot I know how to heat up pasta for a two year old. But can I tell that to her? No, I have to smile and nod and say of course not. Seriously, people think that preschool teachers are idiots. Yes I may not be the smartest but I know how to work with children and I know how to get them to behave, you cant say that about many parents who do have these high salary jobs. I guess I'll have to have kids to understand and eventually become a crazy obsessive parent of a person. But I surely hope I wont.
Ashley

2 comments:

  1. When my kids were in preschool my hat went off to the teachers, dealing with all those little minds and rambunctious bodies, I can only imagine the patience it takes to keep your sanity and at the same time insert some tidbits that will stick into their heads.

    Cindy Davis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is typical for this area. Most of the parents you see either let the television raise the kids, or have Au pair's raising their kids for them. When this is the case they take advantage of every situation that can make it look like they're a concerned parent. And to make themselves feel extra important, they overdo it. You're a nice person, that's why they treat you like an idiot, because they know you'll let them get away with it. The quality of parenting here isn't very good, that's why there are so many shitty little kids running around.
    D. Ryan

    ReplyDelete