Wednesday, October 13, 2010

.....just to say

I think it depends on the tone one uses to read the poem. The first time I read it, it naturally came out with a sarcastic tone. Like a teenager who comes in and rebellious tells their parents, "I ate the plums. Yea I know you buy them for your breakfast, but they were good and I wanted them. Sorry, sheesh." Not a genuine apology even though the words "forgive me" are listed because they immediately over shadow it with describing how good the plums were instead of showing the concern for the person they took them from.

Then I read it a second time, using a different tone in my head. Of a person who is saying, "Hey, I wanted to let you know I ate the plums in the freezer. I thought about it and you were probably saving them, and I'm sorry. It's just they were so tempting and good and so I ate them without stopping to think about you until after the fact". If the poem is read with an apologetic tone, I think it can come off that the speaker was sorry that he did it, and showing his lack of self-control and being accountable for it.

I like the poem because it can swing either way. It is multidimensional depending on how one reads it. Short, simple, and yet could really be interrupted a few different ways.

Craig Fontenot

No comments:

Post a Comment