Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tattoos

I love tattoo’s. All of my guy friends have them. All of the women I’ve dated have had them. I have them. They’re an interesting way to express yourself, and I also think they let other people know what kind of person you are. A hockey friend of mine is covered in tattoo’s, and if you saw him from far away, you’d think he was a rough guy. Up close, you notice what his tattoo’s are, Daffy Duck, Tom Waits, a portrait of Groucho Marx. He’s one of the nicest and funniest guys I know, in fact, he’s a goddamn wimp when we play hockey. But he proves a point, we (society) use tattoo’s to personify our bodies. I am always excited to see a new sleeve or hear about someone getting their first ink. That is, unless that tattoo is ridiculously generic, poorly done, or incredibly tiny.

I’m not a tattoo snob or elitist. I think anyone who wants ink should get it, but for the love of Christ sit on it for a while. Ask some people if your idea is a good one. Ask the artist what he thinks. If you pick something from the wall, it just seems like you like the idea of getting it done more than you want the actual image. Just think it through, I’ve seen too many generic butterflies, tribals, tramp stamps, ho handles, skulls, chains, anything you can picture a drunk person saying, “that’s what I want.” Every person I meet who has these on their bodies regrets it. Just think it through, which brings me to another point.

If you want a funny tattoo, make damn sure you’re going to laugh every time you see it. Prime example, I drew a tattoo for my friend rich, and he got it done. It is a picture of fat Marlon Brando eating skinny Marlon Brando in a hot dog bun. I laugh every time I see it. On the other hand, I have a friend that has a tattoo of Bart Simpson peeing into his belly button. It was funny once, now I think he dies a little every time he takes his shirt off in front of people.

Just think it through.

D. Ryan

3 comments:

  1. My roommate and another close friend of mine both have tattoos. I think that a lot of people get them just to blend in. If you're going to make something permanent on your body it should really click with you and not be some design you're content with just so you can say you have a tat. lol
    Samantha Audet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT!!! I have wanted a tattoo for so long and for my twenty second birthday (or in my family we call it Birfen day) my mom and I got matching tattoos. I have always wanted a tattoo and for about three years held onto this cross tattoo I wanted. Before I got a tattoo I wanted to make sure it was something meaningful to me and something that wouldn't look stupid or dumb. I wanted it to be something that was apart of me and that wouldn't change. Well I decided that I liked the cross because I was religious and all but I realized I didn't want it as a tattoo. So recently I found out that I am scottish so I thought what better then to get a scottish symbol as a tattoo. So my mom and I got tattoo's of the scottish symbol of love. I also love the location of my tat because it is on my upper back (no tramp stamps here) I can show it off when I want and hide it when I don't want it to be seen.

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post. I believe right now the society is going through a tattoo phase, so if a person gets a tattoo it will make him/her much more cooler. I sometimes wonder to myself how long will this phase last because I think eventually it wont be cool to get a new tattoo and the people who have had tattoos for a while might even be frowned upon. The world goes through many different fashion phase such as now it is the phase of skinny jeans, in the 90's it was baggie jeans, colorful clothes and Jordans. I always wanted a tattoo but I am not sure what I want to get and if I want to get it one because they are permanent and my parents always frowned upon them. If I ever get want I want it to be something that I feel strongly about and till the day I die would always look at it and be proud. My sister who is two years older than me has 2 tattoo's, while my cousin who is a year younger has about 5. Just seeing them with tat's makes me want to get one even more, but I am still stuck in between a rock and a hard place on what to do.


    Jaaziah

    ReplyDelete