Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Leonard Cohen I Long to Hold Some Lady- Ashley

I Long to Hold Some Lady from The Spice Box of Earth by Leonard Cohen

I long to hold some lady
For my love is far away,
And will not come tomorrow
And was not here today.

There is no flesh so perfect
As on my lady's bone,
And yet it seems so distant
When I am all alone:


As though she were a masterpiece
In some castled town,
That pilgrims come to visit
And priests to copy down.


Alas, I cannot travel
To a love I have so deep
Or sleep too close beside
A love I want to keep.


But I long to hold some lady,
For flesh is warm and sweet.
Cold skeletons go marching
Each night beside my feet.


I personally liked this poem. The poem expreses how he misses his lady and wants to be with her. He expresses how perfect his lady is and how she is a masterpiece but she is away from him and he misses his lady. What I thought didn't work was that he said " I long to hold some lady for my love is far away, and will not come tomorrow and was not here today" so this part confussed me because I was not sure if he wanted his lady or if he wanted any lady. This piece really flows and sounds good. everything in this poem goes together and seems to have the same beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment