Tuesday, October 12, 2010

This Is Just To Say

I really enjoyed William Carlos Williams' poem, This Is Just To Say. It was very visual and simply formatted, but complex in tone and meaning. It was easy to read and 'see' the plums the author was writing about. It read almost like an apologetic note just left out for someone. However, it is the someone and meaning of this poem that makes it complex. I got a sense of sarcasm or poking fun of whoever ate the plums to the owner of them. They knew they weren't for them, but goes into describing how delicious they were. This teasing and playing with the reader can be compared to a relationship. There are jokes and playfulness, but also asking for forgiveness when knowing there is something wrong. The format of the poem also relates to a relationship in how at first it is simple, but breaking it down one notices how complex it really is.

Jae Khoury

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Jae here. Williams poem, although pretty simple has a deeper meaning than it actually shows. When I read this poem i high school at first I thought why would an older person write such a simple poem. But after reading it again and critiquing it I thought more about it. I concluded that he was poking fun at his wife in a loving way by taking the "plums" she bought. However, I didn't get that the poem related to a relationship like you mention, but now I can understand that.


    Jaaziah

    ReplyDelete