Monday, October 11, 2010

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


I really enjoyed this poem by Williams. His language is very crisp, clean and succinct, and he uses his language to paint a clear picture. At first, the poem seems like it is just a note left on a table. But even though the language is very simple, it still reads very poetically. No word in the poem is over three syllables, and the form is simplistic. However, I feel like there is more complexity pertaining to Williams' intentions of the poem that underlie the words' simplicity.

I like how Williams gives the plums a tantalizing, almost erotic, connotation. He knew that he wasn't supposed to eat them, but he succumbed to the temptation. His apology comes off as insincere, and instead he seems to revel in the pleasure it gave him.

-Jackie

1 comment:

  1. I definitely see what you mean by giving the plums an almost erotic connotation. We have to wonder who the two people in this poem are. Are they a married couple? Are they roommates? Are they friends? Siblings? The language is simple, but the content and the interpretation are far from that. I think the situation is what makes this poem more complex rather than the language. How we "read" it determines its tone or even its character's intentions and I think that is fascinating, given the seemingly simplified nature of it.

    -Samantha Markey

    ReplyDelete