Tuesday, October 26, 2010

experimental poetry- Ashley

I really don't like poetry and because I really don't like poetry I also don't like experimental poetry. I have a hard time understanding "regular" poetry and when I can understand it I am excited. Reading published experimental poetry sometimes makes me very frustrated, sometimes I understand it and other times I am shocked that it is actually considered poetry. I often feel like, this is ridiculous, I could have written this. For example Gertrude Stein's Longer "she stayed away longer." I mean really this is poetry? In my head I'm going how is this poetry I could have easily written that. Also Charles Bernstein "Morality" really how difficult was that. In class I thought it was ridiculous the poet who wrote down word for word the traffic, weather, and baseball game. I think experimental poetry is more fun to write verses a sonnet or more complex forms of poems but when I see that this person got published doing this I think its stupid.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, let me first say I laughed when I read this, not out of disrespect but out of humor. I don't see how you don't like poetry though, poetry is good. Let me write you a poem and you'll be convinced poetry is good. However, I can relate to your feelings with sometimes being frustrated and annoyed by some poetry. I myself have trouble trying to decipher what is poetry and what is not at times. I definitely looked at the Charles Bernstein poem "Morality" now I kinda thought it was good in a weird way. But the poetry of it I don't know how much I can agree. Lastly, yes the guy who actually took the time out to write down the weather, traffic, and baseball game not only has time on his hands but most not live a busy life. It seemed like a waste of time to me, although I laughed about it.

    ~Jaaziah~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I'm sure if I had written some of things we read last week in class my high school english teacher would have thrown me out of class for blasphemy! Oh how times have changes is all I can say. And I mean that in a funny way. I LOVE poetry but this experimental stuff gave me pause and not in a good way. I totally feel where you are coming from. To struggle with an art form and then to have this thrown in, it's like, let me catch my breath before you throw another monkey into the mix.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete