Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Flaws That Give Headaches

Character flaws. The burden of humanity. As a species we strive for perfection and ultimately miss the mark by several hundred feet. More like miles, actually. There are those who would deny this statement of imperfection. One such individual is, Kim Jong-Il, the supreme leader of North Korea, who believes himself to be superhuman to the point of not defecating. Regardless of such absurdities, I don’t mind announcing my imperfections and inadequacies. I admit that, in my opinion, my worst flaw is probably my self-conscious nature. I constantly need the reassurance from my peers, family members, and friends that my work is adequate if not excellent. A compliment is powerful enough to make a day perfect, criticism strong enough to invoke tears. Because of this I am also striving to do the best work possible, however there is another character flaw that affects this trait of mine. That is procrastination. I hate to say that I am one of many who inhabit this frequent quality of dodging assignments till the night before and cramming projects down to the hour of their due date. Together my self-consciousness and my procrastination make for a stressful combination. My laziness ensures that I have mere hours to complete my work while my self-consciousness berates me to achieve the best possible outcome. Despite theses flaws I find that my work tends to be manageable for me to rest easy when I finally find my pillow at night. If I get rid of the day’s headache, that is.

Samantha Audet

No comments:

Post a Comment