Thursday, November 18, 2010

Once More to the Lake

I chose 'Once More to the Lake' by E. B. White because the words and rhythm of the story 'sing.' They flow well and have a feel of poetry to them. The author writes about his memories of peaceful, serene, and sometimes humorous lake vacations with his family. He doesn't just tell us about these experiences, he shows them through his use of cinematic descriptions and word choice. As I read the story, I could see the father and son fishing on the lake. Later, I could see (as the father saw) the comparisons between father and son. The story made me think of my own memories with my family and how time flies by. Somethings remaining the same, with a chilly deja vu feeling, and somethings change like the son replacing the father and the father replacing his father.
What I find powerful about this creative nonfiction is that it could be a piece of fiction or nonfiction. There are elements of both in this story and neither overpower the other. The author never lets the truth and 'data' of the story interfere with the telling. The flow and almost musical use of descriptions and words also helps create a more visual image. A lot of times, writing creative nonfiction has me so concentrated on the facts that I miss the objective. 'Creative' nonfiction should evoke feelings, have meaning, and show not only what is going on but how. E. B. White does this all with 'Once more to the Lake.'

Jae Khoury

2 comments:

  1. I also like how the lake sort of represents a cycle of life. The speaker goes to the lake as a kid with his father, then returns to the lake as a father with his son, now in the same role as his father. "Once More to the Lake" isn't just a reference to returning to the lake as a kid but returning as a different person yet the same roles of children and parents are present.

    Samantha Audet

    ReplyDelete
  2. jae-
    I too liked this story and agree with what you said about it being poetic. But It had a good poemetic feel and one that I liked. I too agree with you about "What I find powerful about this creative nonfiction is that it could be a piece of fiction or nonfiction." It was a good read and one that was enternaining. I also agree with you when you said "'Creative' nonfiction should evoke feelings, have meaning, and show not only what is going on but how. E. B. White does this all with 'Once more to the Lake.'" This story also evoked family memories.

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete