Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Trucking

I liked the story, On Being a Trucker By Lia Purpura. It is kind of this random thought. The narrator in the story is way over thinking things. Going off on these tangents. My favorite line was, "A truck of maces, from mace-supply." In talking about all the stuff she doesn't have to say, and sarcastically retorted how lucky she is.

It is interesting in taking some of the metaphors we use, and then do them literally. Talking about the wrecking ball slamming into a building. The narrator explains that this is supposed to be taken literal and not metaphorical.

I also find interesting that there isn't exactly a plot. The story moves forward with the narrators thought process on thinking what exactly truckers are hauling. I found that way of storytelling very interesting, as the reader is only given a tiny glimpse at a bigger picture.

-Phillip Cobey

1 comment:

  1. I liked this one too. The whole story seemed like a stream of consciousness that you get in dreams or when you're really tired. I felt like the tone and the purpose of the story changed throughout it's progression and that was an interesting aspect.
    D. Ryan

    ReplyDelete