Tuesday, September 21, 2010

1st, 2nd, and 3rd person

First Person:
I went to a surprise birthday party last Saturday night in D.C. I went with my 2 friends, who indecently, were the only people I knew there. I did not know anyone else, not even the birthday boy himself. But that didn't stop me from having a good time. If anything, it encouraged me, to help myself and those strangers around me, to a very good time. Consequently I am out a few bucks, and are now friends with some very interesting characters. But one thing has been bothering me, how did I manage to spend 40 dollars at a house party?

Second Person:
You went to a surprise birthday party last Saturday night in D.C. You went with your 2 friends, who indecently, were the only people you knew there. You did not know anyone else, not even the birthday boy himself. But that didn't stop you from having a good time. If anything, it encouraged you, to help yourself and those strangers around you, to a very good time. Consequently you are out a few bucks, and are now friends with some very interesting characters. But one thing has been bothering me, how did you manage to spend 40 dollars at a house party?

Third Person:
He went to a surprise birthday party last Saturday night in D.C. He went with his 2 friends, who indecently, were the only people he knew there. He did not know anyone else, not even the birthday boy himself. But that didn't stop him from having a good time. If anything, it encouraged him, to help himself and those strangers around him, to a very good time. Consequently he is out a few bucks, and is now friends with some very interesting characters. But one thing has been bothering him, how did he manage to spend 40 dollars at a house party?

Analysis:
I noticed drastic changes in tone of voice. I attempted to be only informative and self analyzing. But as I wrote as I changed the point of view, the tone change dramatically. In the instance of the 2nd person change, the tone went from a slightly humorous self analyzing tone to a negative interrogative tone. Interestingly the meaning was enhanced a little, and stayed slightly humorous with a darker tone. There is definitely a noticeable change in the story with the change in point of view.

-Phillip Cobey

1 comment:

  1. There is no difference, not in the verb conjugations at least. Unlike languages which have a specific verb conjugation for each subject (first person, second person, third person, first person plural, etc.), English Language does put so much emphasis on the subject. For example, "I am going to school right now", "We are going to school right now", or "She is going to school right now", since the subject is not stated. In order to distinguish between 1st and 3rd person, one must add the subject specifically, I, you, He. This is something you did well.

    Craig Fontenot

    ReplyDelete