Sunday, September 19, 2010

Same Same but Different.

I really wish something interesting happened, but not much has been going on. Our floor recently received an actual piece of furniture most likely found off Craig's List's "free section". I'm just happy we have a couch. Now our ingenious cardboard couch has been kicked into the corner, ignored. So much time collecting those boxes, and now we pretend it doesn't exist.

You really wish something interesting happened, but not much has been going on. Your floor recently received an actual piece of furniture most likely found off Craig's List's "free section". You're just happy you have a couch. Now your ingenious cardboard couch has been kicked into the corner, ignored. So much time collecting those boxes, and now you pretend it doesn't exist.

She really wishes something interesting happened, but not much has been going on. Her floor recently received an actual piece of furniture most likely found off Craig's List's "free section". She's just happy they have a couch. Now their ingenious cardboard couch has been kicked into the corner, ignored. So much time collecting those boxes, and now they pretend it doesn't exist.

The first paragraph ("I") makes the story sound personal, because I'm talking about myself and what happened this week. The second paragraph ("you") has the story sound very commanding. You did this. You did that. The third paragraph ("she") makes the story sound detached; there's no closeness, unlike the first two. For the most part, the meaning of the story doesn't change.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting how you pointed out that second person makes the story feel commanding. Good point--I think this is why I enjoy reading in the second person. Instead of imaging the actions happening to a third person character, I feel like I am the character in the story.

    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something kinda charming about a cardboard couch and it's kinda sad it isn't getting used.

    I agree with all three of your points and I think it is safe to say there is a definite shift in voice and number of people in each account.

    ReplyDelete