Friday, September 24, 2010

Wanted: Advice

This past week, I wrote my short story ("One Wrong Step") for the first workshop. For anyone else who did, and for anyone who is currently working on their story, I’m wondering what everyone thought of the writing process.

Personally, the hardest part for me was getting started because I had a difficult time deciding on a plot. I also struggled with coming up with a conflict/resolution. Also, once I create a conflict, I have a bad tendency to rush through the resolution out of impatience. I am more inclined to write poetry or nonfiction, and fiction is something I struggle with.

For the future, I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for getting started on writing a short story, or even a novel, perhaps. I’ve been impressed with the writings of the people in the class, and I would love some advice for approaching the writing process. What are some methods that work for you when creating a plot, and more specifically, for creating/resolving a conflict?

-Jackie

1 comment:

  1. The writing process I believe is always tough. Beginning is the most toughest, because after I've started I usually start to flow. I thought that the option of being able to write a story with not many restrictions had its goods and bad. I like being able to write whatever I want, however having some restrictions helps narrow a topic.
    When I start a story I usually thing of something that interest me a lot. For example, I like sports especially contact sports. My story was written about wrestling. I thought about a true story and wrote a fiction story with a couple facts from something that actually happen. I know that you like running but I don't know if that is something that you would like to write about.

    Jaaziah Bethea

    ReplyDelete