Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Coping with Senility

This week has been quite interesting for me. On Monday I over slept and missed a meeting that I was hosting at 9am. I insist on having this meeting even though the majority was against the scheduled time. The alarm clock was set for 6pm instead of 6am which caused me to be late. I then push the meeting forward two hours forcing the participants to rearrange their schedules. I did not make this scheduled time either. While rushing out the door; I grabbed the garbage for the Monday morning pickup and left my car keys on the counter. On Tuesday morning I held my car keys in one hand and a banana in my other. After eating my banana I threw the banana peel in the dumpster and walked to my car to unlock the door. This is when I discovered that the car keys that I was holding was actually the banana peel. That same afternoon I arrived to a meeting scheduled for Wednesday October 13, 2010. I am not sure what Wednesday will bring, or will I repeat the same episodes of Monday and Tuesday?

**Analysis-This was the easiest to write as I was just repeating the events as they happened. ***

This week has been quite interesting for you. On Monday you over slept, missed a meeting that you were to host at 9am. Didn’t you insist on having this meeting even though the majority was against the scheduled time? You say that alarm clock was set for 6pm instead of 6am, which caused you to be late. You then push the meeting forward two hours forcing the participants to rearrange their schedules. But then you did not make this scheduled time either. You then say while you were rushing out your door; you grabbed the garbage for the Monday morning pickup but left your car keys on the counter. You then claim that on Tuesday morning you held your car keys in one hand and a banana in the other. After eating the banana you claim that you threw the banana peel in the dumpster and walked to your car to unlock the door. This is when you discovered that the car keys that you were holding was actually the banana peel. That same afternoon you arrived to a meeting scheduled for Wednesday October 13, 2010. How can you be sure what Wednesday will bring, or will you repeat the same episodes of Monday and Tuesday?

**Analysis- I thought this would have been the easiest to write, but as it turns out, I actually had to change verb tenses and even though I was just repeating the events as they happened, I was writing them from a more judgmental/accusatory position. ***

He had quite interesting week. On Monday he over slept and missed a meeting that he was going to host at 9am. He insisted on having this meeting even though the majority was against the scheduled time? His alarm clock was set for 6pm instead of 6am, which caused him to be late. He then pushed the meeting forward two hours forcing the participants to rearrange their schedules. He did not make this scheduled time either. While he was rushing out the door; he grabbed the garbage for the Monday morning pickup but left his car keys on the counter. On Tuesday morning he held your car keys in one hand and a banana in the other. After eating the banana he threw the banana peel in the dumpster and walked to his car to unlock the door. This is when he discovered that the car keys that he was holding was actually the banana peel. That same afternoon he arrived to a meeting scheduled for Wednesday October 13, 2010. He is not sure what Wednesday will bring or is he confident that he will not repeat the same episodes of Monday and Tuesday?

**Analysis- I thought this would have been the hardest to write, but as it turns out, I actually had to change certain aspects of the sentence structures and speak from a story book prospective. This version was closest to first person.***

Craig Fontenot

3 comments:

  1. Craig-

    I see you had a terrible day like I had. I often set my alarm clock to pm instead of am and it really sucks. Alarm clocks really need to make am and pm stand out differently. I was wondering why you didn't make the rescheduled time either. Was it because your car keys were on the counter? If so, I would have included that informationt to the paragraph.

    With my paragraphs I did not change anything exept I, you, she. So, your paragraphs made me question if I did the assignmet right.

    over all good job and interesting story.
    - Ashley S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, it's interesting that you mention that your paragraphs didn't change except notating the change in person. Now I'm wondering if I did the assignment correctly as well! I think though that as I'm writing I'm thinking of the reader and maybe sometimes I overthink and wonder if I will be understood or leave someone confused. As the person changed I felt I had to add more information, maybe a little backdrop. First person felt like describing events, 2nd and 3rd felt like telling a story and thus I grappled with how much I should add or leave out. Craig seems to speak to that in his analysis of his 3rd person rendition so looks like we are on the same page.

    Cindy Davis

    ReplyDelete