Tuesday, September 28, 2010

This is too much!

I've had tough semesters before but this one is taking the cake. I remember my first semester here I had class Monday, Thursday and Saturday, that was a grueling schedule. Now I'm only on campus twice a week yet it feels like every day. I suppose it doesn't help that my sister and her son have moved back in with me. I really thought it wouldn't be too bad but I find myself needing a vacation and with mid terms coming up it just doesn't seem possible. Then Christmas holiday is the end of the quarter at work, so while I won't have class I will have a lot of work to do when I should be home baking cookies or something. As it is the government’s fiscal year ends Thursday, I will likely be getting home very late tomorrow. Thursday another long evening of class, it never seems to end!

The papers I read were written very well for first drafts, you guys are like experienced writers! I am starting to feel like a fish out of water. I can’t believe I used to want to be a writer which is why I think this class can really help me. In fact I have designs on writing for the Financial Times or Wall Street Journal later in life as a 3rd career. I can see myself submitting articles via my laptop from my beachfront villa in Costa Rica or Belize. Oh yeah, I have no desire to retire in the United States. I’ll keep my townhouse here but I don’t even know if I want to purchase another property, might as well just save up for my retirement home in some tropical location. I can’t bear to be even a little bit cold, even California (except now) is too chilly for me at night. And after the snowmageddons last year, I don’t think I could ever consider the East Coast as a permanent rest stop.

Cindy Davis

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel out of water, your post made me smile/giggle. It was clearly yet directly written with some personality to it, very much a true 'blog' post.

    ~Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up, Cindy! It's so difficult and stressful to stay on top of things with a hectic schedule. Sometimes it seems like there's always something to be done, and there never seems to be a moment for yourself to just stop and breathe! But if you can learn to take things just one day at a time, and not worry about the distant future, maybe thoughts will become less overwhelming, and maybe you can focus on enjoying the moment. (Was that a cliche? haha) As far as your dreams go to write for Financial Timse/Wall Street Journal and to live somewhere tropical, go for it! Because focusing on today and what you can do in the moment is what will help you progress towards those goals :)

    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete