Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Believe me

A character or plot being 'believable' means to me being genuine and plausible within the realm of that world. I want to relate to the author's characters, to their story, with my own dealings in life. I want to feel like I'm part of whatever I am reading, like I'm actually there. The only way that can happen is for the writer to make his world perceivable. Most importantly, I need to believe that a character or situation would play out the way the author wrote it. If the author chooses to pull a few strings or take liberties with their story, they can't make it too improbable or unlikely. They have to honor the laws of cause and effect and credibility. The author can not just put results of situations in or make a character do something without building some basis on why the action was taken. The character did this because, in his life, this happened which effected his...whatever. If it's not credible; in the realm of the story's world or what a character's personality would actually do, then the reader is left with a dissatisfying feeling.

Too many times, when writing, I make this mistake. It's simple to fix, with a little editing, but can be frustrating as well. When I read over my writings in class, I realize I made my character do something with no reasoning behind it. I then have to think and analyze why this character would do something, that I would like him to do, in the story. I have to give him a cause. I have to build upon his emotions, his persona, his dealings in life. I have to give my character a soul; a actual life. This is what all great writers do with their works. Whether it be in a reality like ours or one with flying cars and star ships, the dealings, emotions, etc of the characters and plot need to fit into, and be plausible, of that reality.

Jae Khoury

2 comments:

  1. Giving your characters a reason to do something, does go a long way in justifying any action that they would under take. Whether how good or bad the justification is, is just part of the story telling. No one does anything without any type of reasoning behind it. And to have it happen like that, makes it all the less believable.

    -Phillip Cobey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Jae, most of what makes any piece of writing 'believable' is that the events play out in a way that seems feasible with regard to the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete