Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"believable" Ashley Sumpter

Being able to believe in a character or plot is very important in keeping the reader interested. Believability in reference to writing is when you can relate to the character or story, you the reader can "believe" in it. Even stories that take place in the feature with aliens and spaceships can be believable if it is well written. When a story is believable it takes you to where the writer wants you to go in the story.

If a story is not believable it can weaken the story as well as the reader’s interest. It is important to develop realistic characters and if they are not realistic, to come up with ways that the reader can understand and relate to. I remember when I was younger I read The Little Princess; story believable, characters believable but this one part of the book always stayed with me. In the book her dad tells her a story about how her doll will come to life, but only when no one is watching. The story of a doll coming to life is not realistic but as a child I truly wanted to believe in it. Although it's not possible and even as a child I knew it was just a story but I wanted to believe that every time I would leave the room all of my toys would come to life. Stories can be believable even when there is no actuality behind them.

The characters and plot can be outrages fiction but then the writer must build the story and the development of the characters in a way that the reader can truly relate, understand, or in vision. If the writer can successfully do that then that writer has created a truly believable piece of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment