Tuesday, September 28, 2010

nothing to say- Ashley

I really don't have that much to say. I truly get frustrated when things are so open. It's like when things are open I get a mental block and have nothing to write about and for some strange reason I have nothing that comes to mind. Most people who are creative have no problems telling stories and love free write. Most people love the opportunity to write about what ever comes up in their mind. Well not me, I freeze up with nothing to say or nothing to write about. I try to write about the fall event but my mind is blank. All I can remember from the event was that it was interesting and I was bored. I thought her story was some what interesting and I could relate to it but I most likely wont go to another book reading unless it's required. So of course I could not write a blog about that. I then thought about writing about my day, but there really is not that much to say. I work with kids and they drove me crazy today but overall the weren't that bad. So with the same old same old days and the same old same old, it was difficult to come up with something to write. I really like open blogs but usually I have a hard time coming up with something when I really don't have anything interesting going on.

4 comments:

  1. Well I would love to work with kids, it would be (for me) much less stressful. I know, having a bunch of youngsters under your auspices seems daunting but I could definitely see myself doing that and enjoying it. I deal with numbers all day - which I love - but reigning in individuals who are so cavalier about spending, personally and professionally is very difficult.

    Kids are much more pliable because they haven't been hardened by society and they're too young to be set in their ways.

    I've thought about teaching in the future, yeah at the point in my life when I won't "need" a salary, that's like 10 years away if I play my cards right, then I would be willing to teach, and have summers off, I could really get into that schedule!

    Cindy Davis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand where you are coming from Ashley. I will say that Ms. Tracy did tell an interesting story. However, I did not take much information from what she spoke about and probably would not have attended it, had it not been mandatory for our class. I also felt like I could not relate to much of what Ms. Tracy was mentioning, therefore I lost focus.

    Jaaziah Bethea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get what you're saying about not knowing what to write when there are no rules. It's a lot like when a friend tells a new acquaintance that you're funny, and that person asks you to tell a joke. Even if you are funny the thing that first pops into your head is going to be marginally entertaining at best. The same goes for writing and being creative. There needs to be some sort of inspiration in order for a person to be creative. It is also difficult if you put different restrictions on yourself in the same way we write these blogs. We tell ourselves it has to be relatively condensed and entertaining at the same time. It's difficult, whenever I'm asked to be creative all of a sudden, I just think up some strange idea that I have or a story that I've been thinking about for some time.
    D. Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone goes through the same kind of experience when there are no boundaries on an assignment Ashley, we all so desperately want to have something 'worthwhile' to say. Perhaps a better understanding of a horribly misused word might make things easier in your future endeavors.

    The word: essay.

    Since learning the true meaning of this word I have secretly resented every assigned 'essay' topic that I have received.

    The term essay strikes fear into the heart of so many of us, I am convinced, because of the common and institutionalized misuse of the word. Most of those I know, when they think about essays, they are automatically overwhelmed with visions of the five paragraph introduction-body-conclusionl that they were inundated with back in high-school. This does the term no justice.

    The term 'essay' derives from the French infinitive essayer, "to try" or "to attempt." It was coined by the French Philosopher/Essayist Michel de Montaigne, who literally used his 'essay's as a method for figuring out what he thought about things - that is, a written record of the way his mind worked over a particular subject or problem.

    I highly recommend you follow his example and treat the term the same, which is a round about way of saying: When you find yourself at a loss for something to write about, just start writing. Treat it as an adventure, let you mind wander and follow it with your pen (or keyboard). You may surprise yourself, and you just might end up with a piece of writing you can be proud of.

    ReplyDelete