Wednesday, September 8, 2010

On Success

If it is true that language represents thought, what then could we possibly mean by the word success? There are so many ways and paths such a word could be reached as a goal, but in writing, quintessentially, one must ask themselves what this warrants.

A piece in its time could have as many as an infinite number of views to as few as none apart from the author.

It may be subject to a thousand opinions and standards; but ultimately the piece will stand apart from all these. No matter the opine, the writing will always be the writing. It is the author’s view which matters most, then; for without it, this contentedness and peace with the piece, it could never be released and ready for the public and others to read.

So if we are to call a written work successful, the first step is to be satisfied with it ourself. After all, has anyone ever heard of an author with a best-selling piece, or great literary work who wasn’t satisfied with it first before even thinking to let others see it?

It is said that the greatest works ever written have yet to be; the future a place of infinite possibilities that we each elect. Against such a daunting standard of time and progress itself, an author could never find themself successful in comparison that which has yet to come, a shadow to a brilliant light. But does the worn candle worry of the shine of the moon as its wick dwindles? So should we not worry of what others think to the degree of it being detrimental to our writing.

The words on the page are produced by a soul of souls for writing. We are creators of our own world’s, God’s to the blank pages that lie beneath our pens. And if I may ask, where in the Bible does God rely upon the opinion of others?

It is true that nowhere in life can one achieve by themself. This is why editors exist, as well as parents, friends, and family. What defines us defines our writing, and every person who has influenced us in life, no matter how small a part, has also had a hand in what we put on paper.

So it almost seems paradoxical to say one should be satisfied with their work, when that satisfaction is all too often derived from that of others. But while it is true we write for others, we write just as much and more so for ourself.

I once lamented that the curse all writers share is that they never get to appreciate their writing in the same sense as their readers. It is from this that I draw my goal in creative writing; to step outside of my sphere, so to speak, and distance myself from the personal bias that tints my glasses rose red when I edit. In this way perhaps I might improve my ability to correct the mistakes I have made in my writing, something essential to producing self-satisfaction in my own work.

There are times when my writing can seem messy, directionless, and dare I say even boring. All these things are that which I hope to fix through this class, finding my way blindly through the dark cave of ignorance that we all meander through in our pursuit of betterment and progress. I am glad, though, that I am not alone in this endeavor; and that the burden I face is shared by all those around me, to help me, as I will help them. For while the cave is dark, the hand on each other’s shoulder will guide better than any sole person’s eyesight can.

-Alex

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post and connected with what you were saying. I also agree with the idea that if the writer thinks the work successful, then it is. Too many times, we try to please the readers with what they want, forgetting that we must enjoy what we write. If we are satisfied with the end result, that in itself is a success. I hope to let go of my fears as a writer and learn humility as well when critiquing my papers. This seems like a great class and I look forward in working with you all.

    Jae Khoury

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your point that success is subjective. Every person will look at works in a different way, and the only gauge a writer can use to determine if their writing is successful is their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. agree with your point that success is subjective. Every person will look at works in a different way, and the only gauge a writer can use to determine if their writing is successful is their own.
    D. Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. "So it almost seems paradoxical to say one should be satisfied with their work, when that satisfaction is all too often derived from that of others. But while it is true we write for others, we write just as much and more so for ourself."
    Completely agree, while I attempt to maintain a level of satisfaction with my writing the real confidence starts kicking in when others read and approve of my writing. Editing is also a mixed gift for me. I can edit quite well, but I attempt to make sure my perfectionist pen doesn't turn the page red.

    ~ Nitesh Arora

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to disagree with the statement that writers can't enjoy thier writing as much as the reader can. I think the writer would get even more joy out of it for the mere fact that they created it.

    -Phillip Cobey

    ReplyDelete