Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Corpus Christi

First Person:
I got up just after dawn to take a walk around campus. This is not something I usually do and, more often then not, when dawn breaks I’m usually just getting to bed. I picked up my copy of Middle English Lyric and tucked it into my bag as Professor Rutledge’s lectures echoed in the back of my mind. Lyric seems to mean more when I’m in a natural setting. The nearly empty campus was kinda of eerie to me, and as I wandered around with only the early morning sound of birds and the clink of keys in my bag, I felt a little more conscious of where I was going. I didn’t really know where I was going until I stopped to sit at a bench near what I thought was Thompson. I pulled out my book and started reading the Corpus Christi carol. As I neared the end of the lyric, a crow alighted from one of the trees. It was only a foot away and it stayed there for longer than it should have. I shut my book and blinked at it and wondered, “When’s the last time I went to Church?”

Second Person:
You got up just after dawn to take a walk around campus. This is not something you usually do and, more often then not, when dawn breaks you’re usually just getting to bed. You picked up your copy of Middle English Lyric and tucked it into your bag as Professor Rutledge’s lectures echoed in the back of your mind. Lyric seems to mean more when you’re in a natural setting. The nearly empty campus was kinda of eerie to you, and as you wandered around with only the early morning sound of birds and the clink of keys in your bag, you felt a little more conscious of where you were going. You didn’t really know where you were going until you stopped to sit at a bench near what you thought was Thompson. You pulled out your book and started reading the Corpus Christi carol. As you neared the end of the lyric, a crow alighted from one of the trees. It was only a foot away and it stayed there for longer than it should have. You shut your book and blinked at it and wondered, “When’s the last time I went to Church?”

Third Person:
He got up just after dawn to take a walk around campus. This is not something he usually did and, more often then not, when dawn breaks he was usually just getting to bed. He picked up his copy of Middle English Lyric and tucked it into his bag as Professor Rutledge’s lectures echoed in the back of his mind. Lyric seems to mean more when he’s in a natural setting. The nearly empty campus was kinda of eerie to him, and as he wandered around with only the early morning sound of birds and the clink of keys in his bag, he felt a little more conscious of where he were going. He didn’t really know where he were going until he stopped to sit at a bench near what he thought was Thompson. He pulled out his book and started reading the Corpus Christi carol. As he neared the end of the lyric, a crow alighted from one of the trees. It was only a foot away and it stayed there for longer than it should have. He shut his book and blinked at it and wondered, “When’s the last time I went to Church?”

The tone of the three paragraphs feels very similar. First person is more personal and third person seems more distant. I think the third person and the gendered “he” creates another layer of depth that “I” and “You” seem to lack. As a reader, I am more detached from the third person point of view than any of the others; I am not a participant or an active voice in the narrative but rather an observer, and this is far more interesting to me.

While first person denotes a personal account, second person acts as instruction. Both second and third person relay an observation of a completely separate entity, so there appear to be two: the narrator and the character. First person lacks this divide.

-Samantha Markey

3 comments:

  1. I agree about the distant feel of third person, and the instructional feel of second person. Did you ever remember when the last time you went to church was?

    And Professor Rutledge is a harsh grader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are my sentiments exactly...2nd and 3rd person being an observation of the events/story line vs being an actual participant. I wonder how this would have changed had we been asked to write in 1st person about an event that happened to someone else, or is that even possible? I would think there would be a different perspective and maybe we wouldn't be able to convey exactly what occured in a way that would be acceptable to the person it happened to.

    Cindy Davis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline,
    I did just after writing this: it was last summer and my nephew's baptism.

    Professor Rutledge is very challenging, yes, but I have to admit that I enjoy her classes more than any other ones here. What class did you take with her?

    Cindy,
    I think it is possible to give a first person account of someone else's life. Wouldn't that be like Nick from The Great Gatsby telling Gatsby's story? The perspective would definitely be different from a personal account of your own actions, but, in essence, I think the narration is the same – the "I" saw this or "He did this when we went out" or something like that.

    -Samantha Markey

    ReplyDelete