Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fall For the Book: Lisa Tracy

I must admit when I heard that we had to attend a fall for the book event I was not enthused. However, I learned that it was during class time so I figured that it possibly could be worth my time. After reaching the event I was expecting a different format for how the event was planned. I thought that Ms. Tracy was going to speak for a little bit and give us some advice as students and writers, I did not expect for her to read from her book to us.
Although, I was not extremely excited about what Ms. Tracy spoke, I was intrigued. I felt that she mentioned some things that stood out and caught the attention of her listeners well. She was serious about the women ancestors in her family, which I respect and acknowledge. She spoke about how strong they were, considering the time periods that they lived. One particular thing that stuck out to me was when she said, "If [my mom] was a man she would have undoubtably have been a soldier." She said this because her mother was tough, hardworking, and persistent I believe and she strived for greatness.
Another thing that stuck with me about Ms. Tracy said was how people do not want to let go of their material things. I admit that I have some clothes or other objects at home that mean something to me that I do not want to get rid of. Ms. Tracy said, "It is hard to let go of objects because they're full of stories. Stories of our family and friends." I do not have personal items that belong to someone who I have lost to death that I knew well such as Ms. Tracy with her mother. But I have items such as memorable uniforms or maybe an item that a friend or relative gave to me for a special occasion.


Jaaziah Bethea.

No comments:

Post a Comment