Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Successful Writing- D. Ryan

In my opinion, originality is the most crucial factor in making a piece of creative writing successful. Pieces that use recycled themes and structure can be done well, but the stories that reach me most effectively are the ones that bring something new to my library of experiences or even my way of thinking. Originality is not important exclusively in what story is being told, but is also important in how it is told. An abstract or manipulated display and arrangement of elements in a work can provide depth that would not exist if told in a traditional form. Books, short-stories, plays, and even films that have stood the test of time more often than not have strayed from the standard story or way of thinking.
Another factor that is just about as important as originality is cohesion. It is common today to experience a story that is entertaining until a nonsensical element rears its ugly head, or an ending comes to fruition that seems to make little sense as it is relative to the rest of the work. Cohesion can be difficult to accomplish when trying to create an original work, or while using an abstract form of storytelling. But, what makes original or abstract work truly successful and entertaining is when it is tightly constructed and easily dissected during retrospection.
I would like to use this class to try out new styles and points of view in order to make my work more interesting. I’ve always wanted to play around with new styles and different types of stories, while getting objective feedback from others interested in writing. Taking my writing to friends for critique is does not usually produce good feedback, so I am excited to be able to see how others view my work and hear any suggestions that they have. I would also like to use this class to work on my cohesion. Sadly, I am susceptible to producing a work that can come apart at the seams.

Derek Ryan

1 comment:

  1. Derek -

    Trust me when I say that every writer produces work (some daily!) that comers apart at the seams. The goal is always, always, to revise it into something slightly stronger, and then stronger still.

    I'm thrilled to hear, as well, that you're interested in experimenting a bit this semester with style and point of view. Be sure to take a close look at the story we're reading next week for some ways to do a unique POV (2nd person, in this case) really well!

    - Jessica

    ReplyDelete